Job Description: Lead Mechanical Engineer
TITLE: Lead Mechanical Engineer
MANAGER: Engineering Director, John Cockerill Defense America
FLSA Classification: Salaried; Exempt
John Cockerill Defense America, Inc. (JCDA) seeks a talented and driven Mechanical Engineer with combat vehicle design expertise to join our team in the Auburn Hills, MI area. The candidate will support the Engineering Director in leading mechanical engineering line of effort in designing next generation combat vehicle lethality capabilities for the US military. JCDA is the US cleared (SSA) subsidiary of John Cockerill Defense SA, headquartered in Belgium. JCDA specializes in design, development, and production of combat vehicle turrets to meet a wide range of customer requirements, focusing on turrets with Medium to Large Caliber (30mm – 120 mm) weapons systems to meet a wide range of mission sets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capture, digest, and communicate customer requirements including intent, constraints, and desired capabilities.
- Develop analysis methodology and trade studies with other engineering disciplines, primes and/or teammates to best satisfy customer’s required capabilities,
- Analyze requirements and conduct trade studies, establish compliance matrices, working closely with other engineering disciplines and primes/teammates to establish robust system design and documentation set (Systems Engineering).
- Organize, document, and present technical design reviews related to the proposed solutions and trade study results. Support technical contacts and discussions with customers.
- Comply with company policies, and standards for cost control, safety, quality, and complete/on-time delivery. Establish challenging targets for improvement in these areas.
- Support proposal activities and offers to primes/teammates/suppliers (materiel or services).
- Demonstrate professional ethics through personal actions and effective communication. Treat all employees with dignity and respect.
- Represent the company at customer/partner meetings, tradeshows, and official functions as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum of five years mechanical engineering experience designing and developing wheeled and/or tracked combat vehicles. Knowledge and experience with combat vehicle lethality systems (turrets/weapons) is a significant plus.
- Experience with combat vehicle requirements and acquisition process. Familiarity with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) is a plus.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ethics beyond reproach.
- Enthusiastic with excellent oral presentation and writing skills.
- Startup mentality is required. Able to work individually and as part of a team.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational/time management skills. Able to task organize, prioritize, meet deadlines/budget targets, and work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge/experience with Computer Aided Design (Pro-E CREO/Catia) is desired.
- Ability to travel regularly within the US and internationally.
- U.S. citizenship and possession of, or capability to acquire, a US DoD SECRET-level clearance is a
condition of employment.
- Potentially manage a small, but growing workforce of engineers and industry professionals
Light to medium physical effort required.
Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility. May require movement and/or installation of components.
25% international and domestic travel required.
- Position is in Auburn Hills, MI
- Primarily an office environment with Lab and Shop conditions. Occasionally may be required to operate in a field location for equipment testing/live-fire certification.
- May be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Send inquiries and/or resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org