TITLE: CAD Designer (Pro-E/PTC Creo)
MANAGER: Engineering Director, John Cockerill Defense America
FLSA Classification: Salaried; Exempt
John Cockerill Defense America, Inc. (JCDA) seeks a talented and driven CAD Designer with experience designing complex assemblies and Pro-E/PTC Creo expertise to join our team in the Auburn Hills, MI area. Any experience with combat vehicles and combat vehicle weapon systems is a large plus. The candidate will work closely with a multi-functional engineering team in designing next generation combat vehicle lethality capabilities for the US military. JCDA is the US cleared (SSA) subsidiary of John Cockerill Defense SA, headquartered in Belgium. JCDA specializes in design, development, and production of combat vehicle turrets to meet a wide range of customer requirements, focusing on turrets with Medium to Large Caliber (30mm – 120 mm) weapons systems to meet a wide range of mission sets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare design layouts, diagrams, bills of material, and drawings/schematics of components and assemblies with supporting calculations, i.e., weight, tolerancing, etc. in support of the overall Turret/Vehicle design.
- Create and revise drawings. Perform other engineering-related tasks as required i.e., analysis, bills of material creation, manufacturing support, layout work, stress analysis and supplier contact.
- Design components to meet customer requirements.
- Enforce the proper use of engineering criteria and drawing standards. Ensure that technical issues and conducted within the framework of company policies and procedures.
- Maintain effective communication with suppliers, internal and external customers, and outside resources concerning technical issues.
- Select parts and/or design components for compliant and cost/quality-conscious design
- Provide technical assistance for prototype, pilot, and production support.
- Perform job duties in an ethical, professional manner which is consistent with the clients’ values.
- Conduct duties consistent with the Company’s mission statement, quality objectives, and defined policies and procedures. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical Design or equivalent experience
- 5+ years related Pro/Engineering design experience. Experience with 2D and 3D drawings. Prefer advanced proficiency in Pro-E/PTC Creo design for complex assemblies & parts design
- Experience working in the defense industry environment preferred
- Experience with/around medium and large caliber weapons systems & sensors is a significant plus
- Experience with prototyping & manufacturing processes such as prototyping, fabricating, machining, and casting is a significant plus
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ethics beyond reproach.
- Startup mentality is required. Able to work individually and as part of a team.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational/time management skills. Able to task organize,
prioritize, meet deadlines/budget targets, and work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to travel occasionally within the US and internationally.
- Enthusiastic with excellent oral presentation and writing skills.
- S. citizenship and possession of, or capability to acquire, a US DoD SECRET-level clearance is a condition of employment.
- Minor physical effort required, occasionally lift and/or move up to 10-25 pounds.
- <25% domestic and international travel required.
- Position is in Auburn Hills, MI
- Primarily an office environment with Lab and Shop conditions
May be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.